As someone who has been freelancing for over 3 years now, I can honestly say that I love freelancing.
Freelancing has allowed me to learn more about myself than any other career I’ve had and it has allowed me to live my days as I see fit.
And while it hasn’t always been plain sailing, I wouldn’t change the journey one bit.
Below you’ll find a list of the reasons why I LOVE freelancing and why you should too, particularly if you’re just starting out or feeling a little jaded…
37 Reasons Why I Love Freelancing
- I get to work from home in my 'apartment pants'
- I get to work from home!
- I choose when I get up and when I finish working
- I can choose to watch 'Pretty Little Liars' in the middle of the day, and then do a few more hours of 'work'
- I can work from any location that has a wi-fi connection, or allows me to tether my phone
- I'm a regular at a few cafe's and because of this, I don't even have to voice my order, they're keying it in as soon as they see me!
- Eating healthily is actually easier, because I can cook yummy foods for lunch, rather than grabbing whatever on the run
- I choose to exercise when I want, and that changes each day, based on how I feel...
- I can take a day off whenever I want thanks to the power of Google Calendar (rescheduling meetings is a breeze!)
- If I'm sick, I'm sick, I don't have to email or call anyone to explain what the issue is
- I can change what I do in the blink of an eye... case in point, I started out with SEO consulting, then SEO writing, then blog writing, then writing books and now I'm coaching too... you can change your skills so quickly when you're a freelancer
- I get to have lunch with my husband every day!
- I can take a long lunch whenever I want
- If I want to spend time with family, I can simply take my laptop with me and work around spending time with them
- I get to chat to people from all over the world because of our 'connection' as freelancers
- I get to travel, although I haven't for the past 12 months (weddings are expensive!) it's part of the plan for the next few years
- I don't have to have meetings anymore!
- I get to wear comfy clothing (not daggy, although I could) without worrying what a client might think
- I can delegate the stuff I don't wanna do to virtual assistants!
- I can increase my income by simply doing more work or taking on more clients!
- I can take a holiday without having to 'book' it in with my boss
- I get to create an office that works for me, not for someone else, which means lots of colour all over the place!
- If I want to start work at 5:30am, I can and if I want to reset the alarm for later, I can do that too
- If someone needs me, like a friend who is upset, or a family member needs help with some urgent, I can rearrange my day to help them (something I really longed for when I was working full-time and my sister was pregnant, it was a rough pregnancy!)
- If I want to work on the beach or from my deck, I can (NZ is home to some amazing beaches!)
- I can go and watch a movie by myself with all the retirees!
- I don't have to go out when all the masses are leaving for work to run errands, I can go at 10am when they are all in their offices!
- If I need to do a number 2, I can do so in the comfort of my own home, something that I cherish because as anyone who has ever had to share a toilet with others will understand, doing a number 2 at work is just not fun...
- If I don't feel like doing my hair or putting on makeup, I don't have to
- If I want to make a hair appointment, I can take an afternoon off to fit it in
- I can get a manicure and pedicure in the middle of the day or early morning because I don't have to wait till the weekend
- I can go shopping while everyone else is at work, which means if I need help from a sales assistant, I'm not vying for her attention
- Did I mention I get to work from home?!
- If I'm having a 'meh' day, then I just stop working and take a me day instead (or a mental health day as you might call it)
- If I need the company of others, I can go to co-working spaces or my local library and cafe's, where you'll find plenty of others doing what they love (or studying!)
- I can actually plan ahead when it comes to days off and vacations, moving things around as needed to suit my life, not some boss or company who tells me when I can and can't take days off
- But most of all, the number 1 reason I love freelancing is that I am now in control of my life, what I do on a daily basis is entirely up to me—it's like one of those 'choose your own path' stories, each day, I choose my own path
If you’re ready to kick off your freelancing career the right way, then check out my OFS Guides, they have been created to help you every step of the way, from setting up your business the right way, to finding clients, to getting paid what you’re worth right through to the tools you should use and how to grow your business.
Check them out here: hustleandgroove.com/ofs-books or click on the image below!